New dating sites september 2016

In 1890, Walter Law bought James Stillman's 236-acre (96 ha) Briarcliff Farm and further developed it, later using the name Briarcliff for all his property.

Briarcliff Manor has an elected local government, with departments including police, fire, recreation, and public works.

It has a low crime rate: a 2012 study found it had the second-lowest in the state.

It still remains primarily residential and its population is still considered affluent by U. The village has seven Christian churches for various denominations and two synagogues.

The oldest church is Saint Mary's Episcopal Church, built in 1851.

) of land on the east bank of the Hudson River, geographically shared by the towns of Mount Pleasant and Ossining.

Briarcliff Manor includes the communities of Scarborough and Chilmark, and is served by the Scarborough station of the Metro-North Railroad's Hudson Line.

A proposition was presented to the supervisors of Mount Pleasant and Ossining on October 8, 1902 that the area of 640 acres with a population of 331 be incorporated as the Village of Briarcliff Manor, The Tudor Revival-style Briarcliff Lodge was opened in 1902 as a premier resort hotel.

It was surrounded by Walter Law's dairy barns and greenhouses, and hosted numerous distinguished guests, including Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt.

They owned territory as far north as the Croton River.

His employees at Briarcliff Farms moved into the village, and the population grew to encourage Law to establish the area as a village.

A section of the village, including buildings and homes covering 376 acres (152 ha), is part of the Scarborough Historic District and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.

Tags: , ,