Plies dating history

Although much of the civil engineering depicted in John Cooke Bournes idyllic scenes remains, it is festooned with high tension cables and associated paraphernalia, tampered with by track widening schemes [3] and often obscured by modern development.

plies dating history-69plies dating history-24plies dating history-71

They show its London terminus situated to the north of Hyde park, west of the Edgeware Road and adjacent to the confluence of the Grand Junction and Regents canals, an area of west London now known as Little Venice.

Stephensons second set of plans deposited two years later, show the London terminus located at a point slightly to the north of Battlebridge Basin on the Regents Canal and adjacent to the present day York Way, a name adopted in 1938 but at that time named Maiden Lane.

The line from Kilburn to Camden Town then ran through unbroken country; and not only so, but the advance of the Hampstead Road, considered as a street, had been so limited, that a thin crust of houses, as it were, only lined its course; and with the exception of crossing Park Street and the Hampstead Road itself, hardly a single house of any respectable size was touched by the extension. From the outset, the directors would have wished for a terminus nearer the centre of London and of business activity, which would also have permitted the Companys freight and passenger activities to be separated rather than collocated at Camden.

To Park Street, the line ran southward through fields of stiff clay pasture; from Park Street to Hampstead Road, its site was chiefly occupied by small and not very well tended market-gardens, and a little colony of firework makers had their cottages or rather huts in this intramural desert. However, to extend the line further south would have involved acquiring land from Lord Southampton, an implacable opponent of the Railway and a contributor to the parliamentary defeat of the first London and Birmingham Railway Bill.

Although most of its wharves and docks disappeared with its trade many years ago ― a change spurred on by the opening of the London and Birmingham Railway ― the waterway would be immediately recognisable to Jessop and Barnes, its engineers, were they to return today, despite what to them would surely be an inconceivable change in the character of the traffic it now conveys.

[2] Robert Stephenson, however, would find far less resemblance between the southern section of the West Coast Main Line (as it now is) and the railway that he built.

Fortuitously, as things turned out, negotiations with the Great Western Railway Company broke down leaving the London and Birmingham with a wider trackbed into Euston and more land on which to site their terminus than the Company would otherwise have acquired, and which their operations soon grew to fill. At Euston Grove they have a station of about 7 acres for the passenger traffic, and both stations are connected by the extension line.

The Act authorising what became known as the Euston Extension received the Royal Assent in May 1835: an Act was passed in the Third Year of the Reign of His present Majesty, intituled An Act for making a Railway from London to Birmingham; and by the said Act several Persons were incorporated, by the Name and Style of The London and Birmingham Railway Company for carrying into execution the said Undertaking: And whereas it is expedient that the Line of the said Railway should be extended from its present Commencement near the Hampstead Road in the Parish of Saint Pancras in the County of Middlesex to a certain Place called Euston Grove, on the North Side of Drummond Street near Euston Square, in the same Parish and County . Passenger trains are to be moved on this portion of the railway, by a stationary engine in the Camden depot, and locomotive engines are to be employed on every other part of it.

However, following passage of the first London and Birmingham Railway Act, attitudes towards railways in general began to change: Scarcely, however, had the line been begun, when Lord Southampton began to entertain different views with regard to railways.

The success of George Stephensons lines, the Stockton and Darlington and the Liverpool and Manchester, was admitted to be beyond a doubt.

There is a great deal more difficulty than would at first be imagined in laying out a railway station; and, perhaps, in every one now in existence, if it had to be entirely built over again, some change would be desirable: there are so many things to be amalgamated, and such various accommodation to be provided, that the business becomes exceedingly complicated. South front of the Propylum, or entrance gateway, with two Pavilions, or Lodges, on each side, for Offices by John Cooke Bourne, 1838.

Tags: , ,